Facebook Bankable LinkedIn Bankable
Twitter Bankable WhatsApp Bankable
Bankable
Bankable

MOST READ

African Economies

State Diamond Firm MIBA Says $50 Million Available for Revival, Awaiting Shareholder Agreement

State Diamond Firm MIBA Says $50 Million Available for Revival, Awaiting Shareholder Agreement

The $50 million promised by President Félix Tshisekedi in December 2024 to relaunch Société Minière de Bakwanga (MIBA) is available. André Kabanda, the company’s director general, said on Feb. 14, 2026, that disbursement is now contingent on shareholders finalizing discussions on the company’s recapitalization.

MIBA is owned 80% by the Congolese state and 20% by ASA Resource. To maintain that ownership structure following the $50 million injection, the private partner would need to contribute $12.5 million in line with its stake. Ongoing talks are focused on agreeing those terms, among other issues.

A general shareholders’ meeting was held several weeks ago and is expected to be followed by a board meeting this week, Kabanda said. The state’s contribution has already been approved, he added.

A $70 Million Baseline Recovery Plan

The funds are intended to finance a $70 million baseline recovery plan approved by the Council of Ministers in August 2025. The plan targets production of nearly 2.5 million carats in 2026. It is structured around five priorities: certification of mineral reserves, securing title to mining concessions, productive investments, management of personnel costs, and the establishment of a monitoring and evaluation framework.

The recovery plan is based on a broader blueprint developed by the Steering Committee for the Reform of State Portfolio Companies, Copirep, valued at more than $400 million.

On April 8, 2025, MIBA’s director general presented four South African companies, Bond Equipment, Mining Services, Athur Mining and Consulmet, which he said had expressed interest in helping restart operations. The companies were expected to submit bids to supply modern equipment following site visits to MIBA’s infrastructure and mining areas. No update on the process has been provided since then.

Ronsard Luabeya

Subscribe to our newsletter (free)

Receive daily news and analyses from the Bankable editorial team.

 
 
trans-academia-georges-ongelo-caught-between-social-mission-and-financial-reality
Trans-Academia, the Democratic Republic of Congo's state-owned student transport company, is facing severe financial difficulties just three years after...
dr-congo-court-chief-puts-public-accountants-on-notice-over-undocumented-spending
The Democratic Republic of Congo's Court of Auditors is stepping up action against irregularities in public finance management. Its president, Jimmy...
jolie-mbala-acb-compliance-must-be-seen-as-a-strategic-investment
During a workshop hosted by Visa on April 21–22, 2026 on the theme “Compliance, Reimagined,” the chair of the Compliance Committee of the Congolese...
paratus-appoints-new-fast-congo-ceo-to-accelerate-network-monetization
Paratus Group announced in mid-April 2026 that it had appointed Gaëtan Soltesz as chief executive of FAST Congo, its subsidiary in the Democratic Republic...

African Economies

MOST READ

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.